Heart Healthy Archive
Call it whatever you want: Atkins, Paleo, South Beach, Ideal Protein, or just a plain old, low-carb diet. Let’s not get too hung up on the details of who owns the simple concept of cutting back on bread in order to lose weight or promote overall health. What matters is that you have an event to plan, or a meeting to hold, and you know that there are going to be people in attendance who follow this diet and take it quite seriously.
For some, this could even be a health imperative, so you definitely want to make sure that you not disregard these requests in every case.
If you have this problem hanging over your head, we’ve got some good news for you: You can relax. Saint Germain’s Catering has a full menu with a wide array of options available which focuses exclusively on low-carb options. The best part is that you can mix and match across multiple menus, so if you have a big wedding to plan, and know half of the guests are on a low-carb diet, you can provide for their needs without forcing the entire party to be low-carb for a night. Everybody gets exactly what they want!
Just because your menu includes low-carb options doesn’t mean that you have to pay an arm and a leg for that service. We strive to make all of our menu items, including our low-carb options, as cost-friendly as possible for our customers, so you can provide excellent food to all of your guests, without compromising their dietary needs—or your wallet.
A wide range of options are available, with egg dishes, chicken dishes, steak dishes, and sausage dishes. We even have a low-carb variant of our burger bar available! It’s a hearty assortment of food sure to entice even the pickiest of appetites and satisfy every stomach. One of our favorites is the chicken cacciotore. With perfectly cooked, all-white meat chicken in a tomato and mushroom sauce, beautiful grilled asparagus, and fresh Cesar salad, it’s a little taste of the Mediterranean that is sure to impress.
Do you have a favorite low-carb dish? Make a comment and let us know.
Saint Germain Catering is a (certified) woman-owned business staffed with talented chefs who proudly use the freshest natural ingredients, and drivers/staff who deliver exceptional service with a smile to Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia. If you’re in the area, we want to cook for your next event or corporate meeting. Call us at (703) 506-9396 or submit an online event inquiry here to get started.
Every day we cater delicious meals to Washington, DC-area businesses and offices. Whether it’s breakfast or lunch, meetings or celebrations, you always need your team to be focused, healthy and full of energy. This week we are going to help you with planning a healthy meal for your team to keep them going strong!
Healthy Breakfast! Having a healthy breakfast is a great way to start your day; a nutritious start can prevent overeating and snacking later in the day. Try our Epicurean Breakfast with farm-fresh scrambled eggs blended with spinach and mushrooms and served with sliced vine-ripened tomatoes, turkey sausage links, SGC breakfast potatoes and a seasonal fruit platter.
Healthy Lunch! Treat the office to lunch. Our Gourmet Organic Cookout includes fresh apple pecan walnut salad, grass-fed beef burgers and organic grilled chicken served with cinnamon sugar baked beans, grilled asparagus and sweet potato salad.
Healthy Dinner! Is the team staying late in the office? Not a problem, fuel up with our Heart Healthy Balsamic Chicken, with delicious herb-roasted chicken breast, fresh garden salad with balsamic dressing, steamed green beans, roasted new potatoes, and wheat and grain dinner rolls!
Have any suggestions for a healthy meal for your team? Share it with us! Let us know and respond in the comments below, tweet us at @SGCatering or post on our Facebook Fan Page! (Image from foodswings.)
It’s a beautiful summer in Washington D.C. and we’re spending it being healthy and active outside. Of course, your favorite DC caterer has an abundance of fresh, delicious and healthy choices. We thought this week we would focus on the many summer’s fruits and vegetables that are full of with secret health benefits. Here are some of our favorites and why they’re a particularly good choice in the summer.
1. Corn: There’s a reason why we place corn is in so many of our summer meals besides it being so delicious. Corn has plenty of healthy antioxidants, like lutein and zeaxanthin—which help against the sun’s damaging rays and help lower your risk of developing age-related macular degeneration—the leading cause of blindness in people over the age of 60 .
2. Iced coffee: Start your summer mornings with a refreshing pick-me-upper and one of our many delicious breakfast items. Did you know drinking a single cup of coffee daily may lower your risk of developing skin cancer? A recent study by the European Journal of Cancer Prevention, determined those who drank one cup of caffeinated coffee a day reduced their risk of developing nonmelanoma skin cancer by about 10 percent.
3. Tart cherries: Sweet, tangy and they deliver a host of health benefits. You may have heard that drinking tart cherry juice can help you get a better night’s sleep and subdue post-workout pain. But did you know the anthocyanin in tart cherries activate a molecule that helps rev up fat burning and decrease from fat storage.
4. Tomatoes: The perfect addition to any meal for when you’re out laying by the pool! There’s no question that sunscreen should be your first line of defense against the blazing summer sun but did you know eating tomatoes could give you a little extra protection and protect your skin from sunburn.
5. Watermelon: Try our wonderful Classic Red White & Blue from our summer menu which comes with juicy watermelon wedges. Watermelon is 92 percent water so it keeps you hydrated with your memory sharp and your mood stable. It also helps you feel more full with less calories.
6. Raspberries: Have you tried our Brie & Raspberry Tarts? Raspberries are a great source of fiber—some of it soluble in the form of pectin, which helps lower cholesterol. One cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber—and a study in the Journal of Nutrition suggests that eating more fiber may help prevent weight gain or even promote weight loss.
7. Iced tea: A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is not only refreshing, but good for you. Studies show if you drink tea regularly, you may lower your risk of Alzheimer’s and diabetes, plus have healthier teeth and gums and stronger bones. Tea is rich in a class of antioxidants called flavonoids. Iced tea would be perfect to wash down our irresistible roasted sirloin salad from our July monthly specials.
8. Blueberries: July is national blueberry month so it’s a great excuse to indulge in juicy, fresh blueberries which coincidently are full of antioxidants that may help ward off muscle fatigue.
Saint Germain does DC catering, which means we experience the Washington, DC heat like no other in the summer and we thought, seeing that the Summer Solstice was this week, we could focus on foods that keep cool in this scorching heat! So when the mercury rises, here’s what to eat during the summer months.
One way to stay cool is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables with high water content. These include leafy lettuces, corn on the cob, cucumbers, watermelon, and summer squash. All are nutritious and supply a significant amount of water that can help thin the blood, helping your body release heat.
Up for an alternative approach? Try adding more spice to your diet to help cool your body through sweating. Hot peppers, fresh ginger, horseradish, and black pepper would all do the trick. As for preparation, try to focus on fast cooking methods like steaming and quick sautés as opposed to more heat intensive ones.
Saint Germain’s menu also has plenty of options that beat the heat!
Try our Summer Concerto from our Summer Picnic Boxes To-Go! A juicy filet of Salmon with creamy dill sauce, fresh berry salad, orzo pasta salad, roll with butter and a scrumptious homemade cookie to finish it off.
Or go on our Thai Adventure from June’s Monthly specials! Tender grilled chicken breasts with coconut cilantro sauce, beef strips drizzled with sweet Teriyaki sesame sauce on mango coconut basmati rice and garnished with grilled pineapple rounds. Enjoy a tropical salad with sliced strawberries and fruity vinaigrette and an irresistible mini mango mousse cake.
Go healthy with our Heart Healthy Chicken from our Heart Healthy Menu. Tasty grilled 6 oz. of chicken breast with strawberry pineapple salsa, marinated vegetable salad, black bean corn salad with wheat rolls with margarine. Only 427 calories per person, 2.5 grams saturated fat and 466 milligrams sodium!